A Leaf Course, Part IB - Tonal Studies
EXERCISE 3, PART 1B - DAY 1
In this part of my tonal study, I will be completing tonal work of a Hosta Leaf. I have to complete at least two leaves during this tonal portion of my course, and you can see the first Hydrangea Leaf tonal work in my post, "A Leaf Course, Part 1A - Tonal Study". The following are photos and documentation of my tonal work of the second leaf so you can follow along if you'd like.
Hosta Leaf Tonal Work
It's not always easy to get a simple line drawing just right the first time. This leaf was one of those that I had to redraw several times until I felt that it was similar in shape and size all the way around. Also the veins needed to run just right and that took a lot of reworking as well. I did a lot of measuring with my handy dandy divider and I was careful to use an H graphite along with a putty eraser that wouldn't damage my paper too much.
After all the reworking of today, I am taking a break for a bit to give it a rest. It was a little frustrating and I need some time away from it.
Even after the many changes I made to my simple line drawing on Day 1, I still felt the need to make further adjustments today. I'm still not completely happy with it, but it's close enough that I feel I can move on and see if any further changes will be needed along the way. The frustration is gone and I'm looking forward to working on it more. Today I used 2H, HB & 2B graphites.
Had to begin again with my Hosta Leaf because I just didn't have the veins correct. Fortunately these leaves last a long time in water, so I'm still working from real life. I feel better about it now and am beginning with my shading again. It's taking me a little longer, but it was worth it to stop and get it right before proceeding. :) Here's what I have so far...
Well, I feel like I've finally got this Hosta venusta just right - Will probably work on the stem to tomorrow and do some finishing touches and darkening shadow areas on Monday and then call it good. We'll see...
Ended up working more on the leaf and not so much on the stem today - but will continue to push on. I'm happy with the way it's turning out so far and am anxious to see it finished. I'm really looking forward to moving on to the watercolor portion of this study. But still have perspective drawing to do after I finish with my tonal work. I'll have to just be patient and continue to work hard.
Well, I ended up having a little extra time and was able to finish my Hosta Leaf today - Very excited! I sent off Exercises 2 & 3 to my teacher and am awaiting the grade :)
I decided to frame my Hosta venusta...
After reading through my grade on this Hosta leaf, I decided to re-work it. Even though my original Hosta leaf is now dead, I had taken photos that I could work from.
I wanted to be sure that my lighting was revealed correctly in my illustration and so I turned it in the frame so that the light would clearly be coming from the top left corner and I also tried to give it more perspective even though this part of the study was all about tone. As a piece that I ultimately wanted to frame and maybe even place for sale in my gallery at some point, I want it to be the best work I can put forth.
I'm still uncertain if I am completed with it, but for now this is where it stands. It definitely shows more movement and I am much happier with it! :)
This is a great course by Dianne Sutherland called, "Drawing and Painting Leaves". I need to complete this course by September since I will begin my Pre-RBGE course at that time and I anticipate it will be quite time consuming.
Thank you for stopping by. If you have any questions regarding my studies, art supplies I use, or the process I use for toning, please contact me in the navigation above.
Remember, "Practice Makes Art!" - so practice, practice, practice! :)
Click here for: Exercises 1-2, Part 1
Click here for: Exercise 3, Part 1A